|Posted on January 8, 2011 at 3:55 PM|
Berdych meets Wawrinka in Chennai semis
Top seed Tomas Berdych and number three Stanislas Wawrinka secured contrasting wins on Friday to set up a semi-final clash in the $450,000 ATP Chennai Open.
World number six Berdych brushed aside the 112nd-ranked Blaz Kavcic of Slovenia 6-3, 6-3 on the centre court of the Nungambakkam Tennis Stadium.
Swiss star Wawrinka came from behind to down eighth-seeded Robin Haase of the Netherlands 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 in a quarter-final that finished late into the night following an hour's rain delay.
Order of Play - Saturday, January 8, 2011
STADIUM - Matches Start At 5:00 pm
Xavier MALISSE (BEL) vs Janko TIPSAREVIC (SRB)
Tomas BERDYCH (CZE) vs Stanislas WAWRINKA (SUI)
Mahesh BHUPATHI (IND)/Leander PAES (IND) vs Marin CILIC(CRO)/Ivan DODIG (CRO)
Simone BOLELLI (ITA)/Janko TIPSAREVIC (SRB) vs Robin HAASE(NED)/David MARTIN (USA)
PREVIEW by ATP Staff
(1)Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs (3-WC) Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) Berdych Leads 4-3
05 ATP Masters Series Rome (Italy) Clay R64 Stanislas Wawrinka 6-1 6-4
07 CZE v. SUI WG PO (Czech Rep) Carpet RR Tomas Berdych 7-6(2) 6-4 7-5
07 Basel (Switzerland) Hard R16 Tomas Berdych 7-5 6-4
08 ATP Masters Series Indian Wells Hard R64 Stanislas Wawrinka 2-6 7-6(3) 6-4
08 ATP Masters Series Paris (France) Hard R32 Tomas Berdych 6-3 7-5
09 Australian Open (Australia) Hard R32 Tomas Berdych 4-6 6-1 6-3 6-4
10 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome Clay R32 Stanislas Wawrinka 2-6 6-3 7-6(6)
F: ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami (l Roddick); Wimbledon (l Nadal); SF: Brisbane (l Roddick); Roland Garros (l Soderling); QF: San Jose (l Roddick); Memphis (l Gulbis); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells (l Nadal); Munich (l Petzschner); Washington (l Malisse); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Canada (l Federer); Kuala Lumpur (l Ferrer)
YTD W-L: 3-0
YTD Titles: 0/Career Titles: 5
Date of Birth: September 17, 1985
South African Airways 2011 ATP Ranking: 6
- Berdych, 25, is playing here for the first time this week and the No. 1 seed has defeated Gil 60 61 in 1st Rd. (45 minutes), Dodig 62 64 in 2nd Rd. and Kavcic 63 63 in the quarter-finals
- The top player from the Czech Republic had his first Top 10 season in 2010, highlighted by first Grand Slam SF at Roland Garros (l. to Soderling) then first Slam final at Wimbledon (l. to Nadal); only player in year-end Top 10 not to win a title during season - Also accumulated most of ranking points in first half of season (38-13 coming out of Wimbledon, 7-13 after that)
- Went 0-2 in finals last season, losing in Miami (l. to Roddick) in addition to Wimbledon - His last ATP World Tour title came in May 2009 in Munich (d. Youzhny) - Has a 5-6 career mark in finals
W: Casablanca (d Hanescu); F: Chennai (l Cilic); SF: Belgrade (l Isner); QF: ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome (l Nadal); US Open (l Youzhny); Stockholm (l Federer)
YTD W-L: 3-0
YTD Titles: 0/Career Titles: 2
Date of Birth: March 28, 1985
South African Airways 2011 ATP Ranking: 21
- Wawrinka, 25, is making his third appearance here (7-2 mark) and his previous best result was a runner-up last year (l. to Cilic in final) - He also fell in 1st Rd. in 2009 (l. to Cipolla); as No. 3 seed this week, d. wild card Rohan Bopanna 64 64 in 1st Rd., Belgian qualifier David Goffin 76(3) 76(3) in 2nd Rd. and No. 8 seed Robin Haase 36 63 63
- Last season finished in the Top 25 for the third straight year at No. 21, highlighted by his second career ATP World Tour title in Casablanca (d. Hanescu) and first Grand Slam quarter-final at US Open (d. Murray, l. to Youzhny) - Also a semi-finalist in Belgrade (l. to Isner) and quarter-finalist in Rome (l. to Nadal), both in May...Won Challenger title on home soil in Lugano in early June (d. Starace)
- Has a 2-6 career record in ATP World Tour finals and earned his first title in Umag in 2006
- The Swiss No. 2 (behind Federer) reached a career-high No. 9 on June 9, 2008; spent 22 weeks in Top 10 [from May 12 to Oct. 12, '08]
Wawrinka dismisses World No. 6 Berdych in just 76 minutes
Third seed Stanislas Wawrinka defeated top seed Tomas Berdych 6-4, 6-1 Saturday to reach the final of the Aircel Chennai Open. One break of serve in the fifth game sufficed to secure the opening set for Wawrinka and after Berdych held serve at the start of the second set, the Swiss reeled off six straight games to claim victory.
Czech Republic's tennis player Tomas Berdych reacts during his game against his Swiss opponent Stanislas Wawrinka, as part of their semi-final match at the ATP Chennai Open 2011, in Chennai on January 8, 2011. Wawrinka won the match 6-4, 6-1.
Too focused to care for family.
Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka left his new family less than a year after the birth of his daughter