|Posted on January 1, 2019 at 11:00 AM|
I cannot go anymore: Tomas Berdych recalls decision to take a break
JANUARY 2, 2019
by LUIGI GATTO | Tennis World USA
Tomas Berdych made his comeback to competition at the Qatar Exxon Mobil Open on Monday, 31st December against Philipp Kohlschreiber. It marked the Czech player's first official match on the ATP Tour since his loss to Julien Benneteau at the Queen's Club in June 2018 during the grass-court season.
Berdych dealt with a back injury and started practicing again on a tennis court in October 2018. "[The pain had] started quite a while ago and at the Queen’s tournament, I just said, "No. I cannot go on anymore,"' admitted Berdych.
'My body said now I need rest and now I need to take care of it. I did all the tests, I did all the medical things that I had to do. I was very lucky that I didn’t have to do any surgeries, which was very good for me.' It was a hard and long way for Berdych, who turned 33 last year. 'I remember my first steps on the court, starting to serve when the shoulder and everything was quite stiff.
My serve was like throwing the ball by hand, it was very slow. In two weeks I could serve properly and I was like, ‘Wow, what a difference’. Since then I’m feeling good, I can load up, and everything is going well.
So I’m very happy for that.' Berdych feels extremely motivated. January will be a very important month for him as he will have to defend 360 points at the Australian Open, where he lost to Roger Federer in the quarter-finals.
Berdych, who will play in Auckland next week as well, concluded: 'I’m seeing it as a big challenge ahead of me. In my career, I’ve never experienced it. So after 15, 16 seasons, I’m really looking forward to something new and some new situations, so exciting times coming up.'