|Posted on April 13, 2016 at 11:00 AM|
 Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs [Q] Damir Dzumhur (BIH) Berdych Leads 2-0
14 Australian Open (Australia) Hard R32 Tomas Berdych 6-4 6-2 6-2
16 Doha (Qatar) Hard R16 Tomas Berdych 6-0 6-4
Berdych 2016 FastFacts:
SF (2): Doha (l. to Djokovic); Marseille (l. to Kyrgios); QF (3): Australian Open (l. to Federer); Dubai (l. to Kyrgios); ATP Masters 1000 Miami (l. to Djokovic)
YTD W-L: 16-7 (0-0 on clay)
YTD Titles: 0 / Career Titles: 12
Date of Birth: September 17, 1985
Emirates ATP Ranking: 7
Monte-Carlo W-L (Best Result): 18-11 (2015 Runner-up)
• The 30-year-old Czech, a Monte-Carlo resident, is making his 12th appearance (18-11 record) after reaching the final last year (l. to Djokovic); also reached SF in 2007 (l. to champion Nadal). Has not lost his opening match here since 2009 (1R l. to Fognini)
• Advanced to QF-or-better at 5 of 6 tournaments this season, most recently reaching ATP Masters 1000 Miami QF (l. to champion Djokovic)
• Reached 6th straight Australian Open QF (d. Bautista Agut in 5 sets, l. to No. 3 Federer)
• Fell to No. 1 Djokovic in Doha SF and Kyrgios in both Marseille SF and Dubai QF
• Helped Czech Republic defeat Germany 3-2 in Davis Cup 1R by winning 5-setter over A. Zverev in 4h, 20m
• Also won doubles w/Stepanek for 50th Davis Cup victory of career (d. Kohlschreiber/Petzschner)
• Retired with right hamstring injury in 4th rubber while trailing Kohlschreiber 63 75
Dzumhur 2016 FastFacts:
YTD W-L: 9-8 (1-0 on clay)
YTD Titles: 0 / Career Titles: 0
Date of Birth: May 20, 1992
Emirates ATP Ranking: 99
Monte-Carlo W-L (Best Result): 1-0 (2R - 2016)
• The 23-year-old Bosnian qualifier made his main draw debut with a 62 60 win over Haase in 1R
• Owns 1-5 record against Top 10 players (1-1 in 2016); beat No. 5 Nadal in ATP Masters 1000 Miami 2R when Spaniard retired trailing 26 64 30
• Lost in 2R at 1st 5 main draws of 2016 season: Doha, Australian Open, Sofia, Memphis and Delray Beach
• Avenged Memphis 2R loss by beating Berankis in Delray Beach 1R (l. to Dimitrov in 2R)
• Followed 1R losses at Acapulco (l. to champion Thiem) and ATP Masters 1000 Indian Wells (l. to Granollers) by advancing to ATP Masters 1000 Miami 4R (d. No. 5 Nadal, l. to Raonic), a career-best run at a Masters 1000 event
• Rallied from 2 sets to 1 down to defeat Edmund in Australian Open 1R (l. to Goffin in 2R)
Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - Damir Dzumhur, the qualifier from Bosnia and Herzegovina caused a major upset as ousted the sixth seed Tomas Berdych in 3 sets 6-4, 6-7 (1), 6-3. He will face 10th seed Milos Raonic next, who edged Pablo Cuevas in 3 sets 7-5, 2-6, 7-6 (5). The match lasted for 2 hours and 35 minutes.
Tomas Berdych serves to Bosnia and Herzegovina's Damir Dzumhur during their Monte-Carlo ATP Masters Series Tournament tennis match, on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 in Monaco. Dzumhur won 6-4, 6-7 (1), 6-3.
Last year's runner-up Tomas Berdych lost to qualifier Damir Dzumhur in a three-set thriller in the second round of the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters.
Monte Carlo Masters Round-up: Djokovic and Berdych bite the dust
Djokovic and Berdych were not the only big stars to fall on Wednesday as the tournament also lost Richard Gasquet.
In twin shocks, the 2016 Monte Carlo Masters lost both its 2015 finalists as top seed Novak Djokovic as well as sixth seed Tomas Berdych departed in the second round on Wednesday. The defending champion Djokovic’s 4-6, 6-2, 4-6 loss to 55th ranked Jiri Vesely was all the more surprising as he was on a 14-match winning streak coming into this tournament and was considered the unanimous favourite for the title.
Overall, this is just the second defeat of the season for the Serb with his first loss coming via a retirement in the quarter-finals of Dubai against Feliciano Lopez. This also marks the first time the World No. 1 has lost to someone ranked outside the top 50 since succumbing to the 74th ranked Xavier Malisse at the Queen’s Club in 2010.
Berdych, who stretched the 11-time Grand Slam winner to three sets in the final last year, battled back after losing the first set to Bosnian qualifier Damir Dzumhur. The Czech had five break points in the decider but he could not capitalize on any of them whereas all Dzumhur needed was one break point which he duly converted to send Berdych packing, 6-4, 6(1)-7, 6-3.
Tomas Berdych returns the ball to Damir Dzumhur of Bosnia Herzegovina during their second round match at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters tennis tournament in Roquebrune Cap Martin, France, Wednesday, April 13, 2016. Dzumhur won 6-4, 6-7 (1), 6-3.