|Posted on November 2, 2012 at 3:00 PM|
H2H Tomas Berdych vs Gilles Simon
• The 27-year-old Czech Republic native has an 18-6 record in Bercy and appearing in his fourth quarter-final (or better)…Opened Tuesday with a 76 62 win over No. 1 Italian Andreas Seppi and followed with a 16 63 64 victory over top South African Kevin Anderson
• This is the only ATP Masters 1000 event he has won, in 2005 (d. Ljubicic in final)…Also semi-finalist last year (d. No. 3 Murray in QF, l. to Federer) and quarter-finalist in ‘06 (l. to Hrbaty); reached 3rd Rd. three times (2007-08, ‘10) and 2nd Rd. in ‘09
W(2): Montpellier (d Monfils); Stockholm (d Tsonga); F(2): ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid (l Federer); Winston-Salem (l Isner); SF(4): Rotterdam (l Del Potro); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo (l Djokovic); US Open (l Murray); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Shanghai (l Djokovic); QF(5): Australian Open (l Nadal); Dubai (l Murray); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome (l Nadal); Halle (l Haas); Tokyo (l Nishikori)
YTD W-L: 59-19 (39-11 on hard), 20-15 in Tie-breaks
YTD Titles: 2/Career Titles: 8
Date of Birth: September 17, 1985
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 6
2012 in Review:
• The top player from the Czech Republic is appearing in his 14th quarter-final of the season (8-5 in QFs), fifth in an ATP Masters 1000 (19-8 record)…Prior to Paris, he earned his second ATP World Tour title of the year, eighth in his career, on Oct. 21 in Stockholm (d. Tsonga 46 64 64)
• Has a 59-19 match record on the season and his match wins is a career-high (previous 53 last year), including 39-11 on hard courts and 16-1 indoors (only loss to del Potro in Rotterdam SFs)…Has a 6-11 record vs. Top 10 opponents
• Has a 2-2 record in finals this year, 8-8 in his career…In February, he captured second French title (’05 Bercy) in Montpellier (d. Monfils)…Also runner-up at ATP Masters 1000 Madrid (l. to Federer) in May and Winston-Salem (l. to Isner, held three match pts.) in August
• His best Grand Slam result was semi-finals at US Open (d. No. 1 Federer in QF, l. to Murray)…Also quarter-finalist at Australian Open (l. to Nadal)…Has reached QFs or better in all four Slams in career
• Qualified for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London for the third straight year and last season reached the semi-finals (l. to eventual champ Federer)
Order of Play – Friday, November 2, 2012
COURT CENTRAL - Matches Start At: 2:00 pm
Gilles SIMON (FRA) vs  Tomas BERDYCH (CZE)
[Q] Jerzy JANOWICZ (POL) vs  Janko TIPSAREVIC (SRB)
Not Before 7:30 PM
 Jo-Wilfried TSONGA (FRA) vs  David FERRER (ESP)
Not Before 8:30 PM
[WC] Michael LLODRA (FRA) vs Sam QUERREY (USA)
Tomas Berdych in action against Gilles Simon (TV Captures)
Tomas Berdych lost to Gilles Simon
BNP PARIBAS MASTERS 2012
Simon Holds Off Berdych For SF Spot
by ATP Staff | 02.11.2012
France’s Gilles Simon reached the semi-finals of the BNP Paribas Masters for the first time on Friday in Paris-Bercy as he held off a second-set comeback from fifth seed Tomas Berdych to prevail 6-4, 6-4.
"I'm happy to play well here this year, because when I was young I grew up nearby and I came to see this tournament. It's a very special tournament to me," said Simon. "I always wanted to do well here. Until today, I always played awfully bad when I came here, so I'm trying to enjoy this year in Paris."
After losing the first set, Berdych led by a break early in the second set and had chances for a 4-0 lead. Simon fought back, though, and won six of the last seven games, rallying from 0/40 in the final game, to claim his fifth victory in seven meetings with Berdych.
"I had good feelings today, and I made very few unforced errors," said Simon. "So he had to do the work and fight a lot. I was very consistent during the whole match. I know when I play him that I have some weapons that can bother him, and I did well today."
Berdych now heads to London to compete at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, which begins Monday at The O2.
Tomas Berdych in action against Gilles Simon of France in the Quarter Finals on day 5 of the BNP Paribas Masters at Palais Omnisports de Bercy on November 2, 2012 in Paris, France. Simon won 6-4, 6-4.