|Posted on March 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM|
Tomas is the #7 seed and has a bye in the first round. Second round, he’ll face Sergiy Stakhovsky of Ukraine. They have played against each other once before, on hard court, and Tomas won in straight sets.
H2H Tomas Berdych vs Sergiy Stakhovsky
Order of Play - Saturday, March 10, 2012
STADIUM 2 - Starting At: 11:00 am
John ISNER (USA) vs Frederico GIL (POR)
Sergiy STAKHOVSKY (UKR) vs Tomas BERDYCH (CZE)
WTA - Samantha STOSUR (AUS) vs Irina FALCONI (USA)
Andreas SEPPI (ITA) vs Mardy FISH (USA)
Ryan HARRISON (USA) vs Viktor TROICKI (SRB)
WTA - Marion BARTOLI (FRA) vs Varvara LEPCHENKO (USA)
Saturday Preview - Day Three Indian Wells
• The seeds from the top half of the draw make their first appearances at the BNP Paribas Open on Saturday, with two of the Big Four, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray, playing talented opponents.
• The first men’s match on Stadium 1 pits No. 30 seed Andy Roddick against Poland’s Lukasz Kubot; Roddick, who is ranked No. 31, is out of the Top 30 for the first time since August 2001 - but Indian Wells has been a very good tournament for Roddick, who has reached the quarter-finals or better in six of his nine previous appearances here (and two of the other three times he reached the fourth round). This could be a tricky match-up for him however, with fellow 29-year-old Kubot winning their only previous meeting.
• Next up is World No. 1 and reigning champion Novak Djokovic against Kazakh qualifier Andrey Golubev; Djokovic may not have the perfect start to the year he had last year, losing in the Dubai semi-finals last week, but he did win his fifth Grand Slam title at the Australian Open, and has always done well at Indian Wells, winning the title twice before (2008 and 2011); he has won his last 31 matches against players outside the Top 50 and beat Golubev handily in their only previous meeting, in 60 minutes right here in this round a year ago.
• At night, No. 4 seed Andy Murray faces Spain’s Guillermo Garcia-Lopez; Murray is fresh off a strong showing in Dubai, where he defeated Djokovic in the semi-finals before falling to Roger Federer in the final.The World No. 4 has won 31 of his last 35 matches and has done well here, reaching the final in 2009 (losing to Rafael Nadal). He has beaten Garcia-Lopez routinely the two times they have played, in particular an 82-minute, 61 61 62 rout in their last meeting at the Australian Open last year.
• Two more Top 10 players, No. 7 Tomas Berdych and No. 8 Mardy Fish, are among the other big names in action on Stadium 2 as well as big-serving John Isner, who is at a career-high No. 11, which he set last week.
Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR) vs (7) Tomas Berdych (CZE) Berdych Leads 1-0
2010 ATP Masters 1000 Toronto (Canada) Hard R32 Tomas Berdych 6-2 6-4
YTD W-L: 5-7 (5-7 on hard)
YTD Titles: 0
Career Titles: 4
Date of Birth: January 6, 1986
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 76
W: Montpellier (d Monfils); SF: Rotterdam (l Del Potro); QF: Australian Open (l Nadal); Dubai (l Murray)
YTD W-L: 14-3 (14-3 on hard)
YTD Titles: 1
Career Titles: 7
Date of Birth: September 17, 1985
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 7
Berdych is Through to Third Round
Tomas Berdych came from a set behind to secure his last-32 place, despite serving eight double-faults and facing 15 aces from Sergiy Stakhovsky.
The Ukrainian took the first set on a tie-break but Berdych dug deep to win 6-7 (2/7) 6-3 6-4.
Tomas Berdych comes from behind to beat Sergiy Stakhovsky
By Robert Summerscales (www.sportsmole.co.uk)
Tomas Berdych continued his fine start to 2012 with a hard-fought 6-7 6-3 6-4 win over Sergiy Stakhovsky at the Indian Wells Masters.
After an early break of serve each, the first set of this battle of the giants was settled in a tie-break, which the Ukrainian dominated and won 7-2.
Berdych looked disgusted with himself, but he quickly regained focus and claimed a single break in set two to force a decider
The Czech made an instant breakthrough in the final set and then held his serve with ease to close out the win.
Berdych will now face Andy Roddick in round three, after the American narrowly edged past Lukasz Kubot.
March 10, 2012 - Watch highlights of Saturday's play at the BNP Paribas Open, featuring Andy Roddick versus Lukasz Kubot, Novak Djokovic, Andrey Golubev, Albert Ramos, Richard Gasquet, Sergiy Stakhovsky, Tomas Berdych, Santiago Giraldo, Kei Nishikori, Andy Murray and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.