|Posted on February 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM|
Tomas Berdych vs Nicolas Mahut in Montpellier Open
Friday, February 3rd, 2012 | Peter Johnson
The World No. 7 Tomas Berdych will clash against Frenchman Nicolas Mahut in the quarter finals at 2012 Montpellier Open tournament, which will begin at 13:30 GMT on Friday 3rd February, being played on indoor hard courts in France.
Czech Republic top seed has reached quarter finals of the 2012 Montpellier Open tournament on Thursday, after beating Florent Serra of France in the second round in two sets with a 6-0, 6-2. Berdych has been best tennis so far in the tournament and considered to be one of the hot favorite to lift the championship in France. Berdych has showed best performance in the Australian Open, before falling to World No. 1 Rafael Nadal in the quarter finals.
The 30-year-old Mahut has overwhelmed Florian Mayer of Germany in the second round with a 7-6, 6-3, while defeated Albert Ramos-vinolas of Spain in two sets with a 6-3, 6-2. Mahut is going to face tough challenge and should work hard to beat Tomas Berdych in quarter finals.
Both the players are meeting for the third time in their career, where Tomas Berdych leads the head-to-head record series with a 2-0 against Mahut. The pair last meet at 2008 Bangkok ATP tournament, as Berdych won the match in straight sets with a 7-6, 6-3 score line. As per the predictions, top seed Berdych can beat Mahut in three sets and advance into Montpellier Open semi finals.
H2H Tomas Berdych vs Nicolas Mahut
Order of Play - Friday, February 3, 2012
COURT CENTRAL - Matches Start At: 1:00 PM
Guillaume RUFIN (FRA) vs Gilles SIMON (FRA)
Tomas BERDYCH (CZE) vs Nicolas MAHUT (FRA)
Jarkko NIEMINEN (FIN) vs Gaël MONFILS (FRA)
Not Before 7:00 PM
Richard GASQUET (FRA) vs Philip KOHLSCHREIBER (GER)
Paul HANLEY (AUS)/Jamie MURRAY (GBR) vs Dustin BROWN (GER)/Lovro ZOVKO (CRO)
Head 2 Head
(1)Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs Nicolas Mahut (FRA) Berdych Leads 2-0
04 Australian Open (Australia) Hard R128 Tomas Berdych 6-4 6-2 5-7 6-3
08 Bangkok (Thailand) Hard QF Tomas Berdych 7-6(6) 6-3
QF: Australian Open (l Nadal)
YTD W-L: 5-1
YTD Titles: 0
Career Titles: 6
Date of Birth: September 17, 1985
South African Airways 2012 ATP Ranking: 7
• Berdych, 26, who is the top player from the Czech Republic on the ATP World Tour, only dropped two games in his opening round win over Frenchman Florent Serra
• In lone tournament of the season, reached the quarter-finals for the second straight year at the Australian Open, falling in four sets to Rafael Nadal…Went 7- 1 in tie-breaks during tournament
• Only remaining player who has reached a Grand Slam final (2010 Wimbledon, l. to Nadal)
YTD W-L: 4-2
YTD Titles: 0/Career Titles: 0
Date of Birth: January 21, 1982
South African Airways 2012 ATP Ranking: 78
• Mahut, 30, who is the second-oldest player remaining (behind Nieminen), has rolled into the quarter-finals with a 63 62 win over Spaniard Albert Ramos and a 76 63 victory over No. 6 seed Florian Mayer
• He is coming off his equal-best Grand Slam performance, a third round finish at the Australian Open, falling to eventual champion Novak Djokovic…He reached that round at Wimbledon in 2006
• This is the Frenchman’s first ATP World Tour quarter-final since Metz last September and he’s trying to reach his first semi-final since Metz in 2007
• He is 3-21 lifetime vs. Top 10 opponents and his last win came over No. 2 Nadal in the quarter-finals at the Queen’s Club in London in June 2007
Tomas Berdych finished off Nicolas Mahut with his 14th ace Friday,
winning 6-3, 6-4 to reach the semifinals of the Open Sud de France
Tomas Berdych overcame Nicolas Mahut for a place in the semi-finals
Berdych reaches Montpellier semis
Czech sees off Mahut in straight sets
Top seed Tomas Berdych experienced few problems en route to reaching the semi-finals of the ATP event in Montpellier.
The Czech world number seven needed just 73 minutes to complete a second successive straight-sets victory this week, with a 6-3 6-4 triumph over Frenchman Nicolas Mahut.
In a contest dominated by serve, Berdych sent down 14 aces to 10 by his opponent.
In the opening set, Mahut could win just three points on the Berdych serve, with the 26-year-old beating the world number 78 for a third time in three meetings.
Berdych, who has conceded just nine games in four sets, will meet Philipp Kohlschreiber in the last four.
The German upset home hope Richard Gasquet, recording a 6-2 3-6 6-3 win as he blasted down 18 aces.
some captures from the quarter-final match Berdych/Mahut
Berdych Advances To Montpellier SFs
by ATP Staff | 03.02.2012
Top-seeded Czech Tomas Berdych overcame Nicolas Mahut of France 6-3, 6-4 on Friday for a place in the Open Sud de France semi-finals in Montpellier.
Berdych recovered from a 0-3deficit in the second set to win five straight games. He hit 14 aces and won 38of his 47 service points to record his third successive win over Mahut in 74minutes. Mahut, 30, is now 3-22 against Top 10 opponents.
"So far everything’s goingpretty well," said Berdych. "I have a second match under my belt. The very important thing in my game is serve. It was working pretty well, [except]for one game where I lost maybe a bit of concentration and lost that game, butfinally was able to finish it in straight sets, so happy for that."
Last week, World No. 7 Berdychreached the Australian Open quarter-finals (l. to Nadal) for the secondyear running.