|Posted on October 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM|
H2H Tomas Berdych vs Richard Gasquet
• Berdych is set to make his sixth appearance in Shanghai. The Czech No. 1’s best showing here was a SF appearance in 2012 (d. No. 6 Tsonga in QF, l. to No. 2 Djokovic).
• Berdych returns to court 3 days after a 6-0, 6-2 loss to Djokovic in Beijing (9-14 in career finals).
• Berdych’s best string of results this year came in the opening few months of the season when he compiled a career-best 11-match winning streak, which included a ninth career title in Rotterdam (d. Cilic) and a runner-up finish in Dubai (d. No. 10 Tsonga, l. to Federer). He also reached the final in Oeiras in early May (l. to Berlocq after winning 1st set 6-0).
• Berdych compiled a 15-4 record at the Grand Slams this year, advancing to the SF at the Australian Open for the first time (d. No. 3 Ferrer, l. to eventual champ Wawrinka) and reaching the QF at both Roland Garros (l. to Gulbis) and the US Open (l. to eventual champion Cilic).
• At ATP Masters 1000 level, Berdych’s best performance came in Miami where he reached the SF (withdrew vs. Nadal due to gastroenteritis).
• Berdych, No. 7 in the Emirates ATP Rankings, is on course to finish in Top 10 for 5th year in a row.
SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS 2014
by ATP Staff | 08.10.2014Sixth seed Berdych kept his Barclays ATP World Tour Finals qualification bid on track with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Richard Gasquet. In previous meetings, the Czech has struggled against Gasquet, trailing 3-6 in their FedEx ATP Head2Head, but fired 10 aces and relinquished just five points on serve as he beat the Frenchman in only 52 minutes.
Berdych bounced back from the heavy defeat he suffered against Djokovic in the Beijing final, admitting afterwards he’d never experienced anything like the Serb’s performance in his 12 years on the ATP World Tour. The 29 year old is looking to qualify for the season finale in London for the fifth year in a row and is currently No. 7 in the Emirates ATP Race To London, with the opportunity to make up ground on No. 6 Marin Cilic who was beaten in the first round.
Tomas Berdych New ‘Orange’ HM outfit
gif File Size: 2.12 Mo - 250 x 165
Chair umpire is Mohamed Lahyani
Tomas Berdych's coach Tomas Krupa