|Posted on August 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM|
Tomas opened with a win in Montreal, he beat Ukraine's Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-3,6-4 on Wednesday. Today Tomas will play his third round match against Vasek Pospisil of Canada. It's a first meeting. They have never played against each other before.
H2H Tomas Berdych vs Vasek Pospisil
F(2): Marseille (l Tsonga); Dubai (l Djokovic); SF(3): ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells (l Nadal); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid (l Wawrinka); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome (l Nadal); QF(6): Chennai (l Bautista Agut); Australian Open (l Djokovic); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami (l Gasquet); London / Queen's Club (l Cilic); Wimbledon (l Djokovic); Bastad (l de Bakker)
YTD W-L: 37-14 (22-6 on hard)
YTD Titles: 0/Career Titles: 8
Date of Birth: September 17, 1985
Emirates ATP Ranking: 6
Tournament/2013 in Review
• Berdych, 27, comes in with an 11-8 career Rogers Cup record after opening with a 63 64 win over Alex Dolgopolov on Wednesday. Last year lost in the third round (bye, d. Benneteau, l. to Gasquet). Has reached quarter-finals three times (2006, ’10-11). In ’06, d. Nadal en route; l. to Gasquet), 2010 (l. to Federer) and 2011 (l. to Tipsarevic). Also 2nd Rd. & 1st Rd. twice
• This is the Czech Republic native’s first tournament since Bastad where he lost in the quarter-finals (l. to de Bakker). Has advanced to the QF or better 11 times in 13 tourn. this year (5-6 in QF matches)
• The top player from the Czech Republic enters with a 37-14 (22-6 on hard, 9-5 on clay and 6-2 on grass) match record. His best results are back-to-back finals in Marseille (l. to No. 8 Tsonga) and Dubai (l. to No. 1 Djokovic, d. No. 2 Federer in SF). Only player in Top 10 without a title this year
• In Grand Slam play reached eighth career Grand Slam QF and third at Wimbledon (l. to Djokovic), third QF at Australian Open (l. to Djokovic) and fell to Gael Monfils 7-5 in the fifth set at 1R Roland Garros
• Reached 13th career ATP Masters 1000 semi-final at Rome (l. to 5 Nadal, d. No. 1 Djokovic in QF)
• In other ATP Masters 1000 events, SF at Indian Wells (l. to No. 5 Nadal), QF at Miami (l. to No. 10 Gasquet), lost in 3R at ATP Masters 1000 Monte Carlo (l. to Fognini)
• Captured 400th career ATP Tour-level win over Jerzy Janowicz at ATP Masters 1000 Madrid in 2R
• Helped Czech Republic beat Switzerland 3-2 in Davis Cup 1R, winning three points. Partnered with Rosol in doubles rubber, the duo overcame Chiudinelli-Wawrinka 24-22 in fifth set, match lasted 7 hours, 1 minute and is the longest Davis Cup match on record (in time)
SF: Bogota (l Falla)
YTD W-L: 8-7 (6-4 on hard)
YTD Titles: 0/Career Titles: 0
Date of Birth: June 23, 1990
Emirates ATP Ranking: 71 (Career-high)
Tournament/2013 in Review
• Pospisil, 23, improved his career record to 4-2 at the Rogers Cup with a 62 64 win over former World No. 8 Radek Stepanek. On Tuesday, scored the biggest win of his career over No. 20-ranked John Isner 57 76 76, hitting 16 aces. This is the first time he’s reached the third round. His previous best showing was the second round last year (l. to Monaco) and 2011 (l. to Federer)
• He was one of a tournament record five Canadians in the second round, along with Frank Dancevic, Jesse Levine, Filip Peliwo and Milos Raonic
• The No. 2 Canadian (behind No. 13 Raonic) is playing here on a career-high Emirates ATP Ranking of No. 71 and enters with an 8-7 (6-4 on hard, 2-2 on grass and 0-1 on clay) match record. Will jump to around No. 65 on Monday
• Last month advanced to his first career ATP World Tour semi-final in Bogota (l. to Falla in three sets)
• In Grand Slam play (1-2 record), reached 2R at Wimbledon (l. to Youzhny in five sets), fell in 1R at Roland Garros (l. to Zeballos, after holding two-sets to love lead, lost 8-6 in the fifth set)
• Won doubles rubber (w/Nestor) versus Italy to help Canada reach Davis Cup SFs for first time
• Captured his fourth career Challenger title on Sunday in Vancouver (d. Daniel Evans). Also won at Johannesburg (d. Przysiezny) in April and reached final at Rimouski (l. to de Voest) in March). Has a career 4-1 record in Challenger finals
• Has a career 63-51 (19-7 in 2013) record in Challengers with four titles in five finals and 107-41 in Futures with 10 titles in 12 finals
Order of Play - R3 Montreal - Thursday, August 8, 2013
On BN Court Czech No. 5 seed Tomas Berdych faces Canadian wild card Vasek Pospisil for the first time. The 27-year-old Berdych enters with a 37-14 (22-6 on hard) match record and is the only player in Top 10 without a title this year. The 23-year-old Pospisil enters with an 8-7 (6-4 onhard) match record and is looking to reach his first career ATP Masters 1000 quarter-final and third overall.
Tomas lost to Vasek Pospisil *it's a bad loss, next round was winnable... Davydenko or Bogomolov*
Tomas during R3 Montreal
gif File Size: 853 Ko - 250 x 140
Pospisil Upsets Berdych
by ATP Staff | 08.08.2013
Canadian Vasek Pospisil’s breakthrough run on home soil continued, as he reached his first Masters 1000 quarter-final with his first win over a Top 10 opponent. The 23-year-old British Colombia native fired 20 aces in a 7-5, 2-6, 7-6(5) victory over World No. 6 Tomas Berdych, prevailing after two hours and 37 minutes.
"I don't really know what's going on now," said an emotional Pospisil. "Right now it's okay. It was pretty emotional, I mean, just the hard work that I've put in. I mean, to have my first top 10 win here, in front of that crowd, was extremely emotional. I was having difficulty controlling it...I have an opportunity tomorrow that I don't want to pass up. I'll prepare well for it, go out there, give it my best. Now I have tomorrow to look forward to."
Pospisil had come to Montreal at a career-high No. 71 in the Emirates ATP Rankings. He advanced to his first tour-level semi-final last month at the Claro Open Colombia, and captured the ATP Challenger title in Vancouver on Sunday. He knocked out two former Top 10 players, Emirates Airline US Open Series leader John Isner and Czech Radek Stepanek, in the first two rounds.
“He's really on a roll,” said Berdych. “He's just going really well… It's nice that another young kid is coming up. He has a really good game to break through.”
Tomas Berdych congratulates Canada's Vasek Pospisil after their third-round match at the Rogers Cup men's tennis tournament Thursday, Aug. 8, 2013, in Montreal.