|Posted on April 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM|
F(2): Marseille (l Tsonga); Dubai (l Djokovic); SF: ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells (l Nadal); QF(3): Chennai (l Bautista Agut); Australian Open (l Djokovic); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami (l Gasquet)
YTD W-L: 22-6 (1-0 on clay)
YTD Titles: 0/Career Titles: 8
Date of Birth: September 17, 1985
Emirates ATP Ranking: 6
Career ATP Masters 1000 (YTD): 118-72 (8-2)
Career Tiebreak Record (YTD): 124-133 (1-2)
Monte-Carlo W-L (Best Result-Year): 13-8 (SF-2007, ’12)
Tournament / 2013 in Review:
• The 27-year-old Czech Republic native opened Wednesday with a 75 64 win over Spaniard Marcel Granollers.Has a 13-8 mark in Monte-Carlo and he’s coming off his second semi-final last year (l. to Djokovic). He also reached the semi-finals in 2007 (d. No. 6 Robredo in 3R, l. to No. 2 Nadal)
• He is playing here for the ninth time in 10 years (except ’08). Last year posted wins over Marin Cilic 76(3) 61, No. 12 seed Kei Nishikori 26 62 64 and No. 3 seed Andy Murray 67(4) 62 63
• The last Czech winner here was Ivan Lendl in 1988 (d. Martin Jaite)
• The top player from the Czech Republic enters with a 22-6 match record on the season and has reached the quarter-finals or better in all six tournaments played, including back-to-back finals in Marseille (l. to Tsonga) on Feb. 24 and Dubai (d. Federer in SF, l. to Djokovic) on Mar. 2
• In ATP Masters 1000 events reached SF at Indian Wells (l. to No. 5 Nadal), fell to 3-8 in ATP Masters 1000 SFs and QF at Miami (l. to No. 10 Gasquet)
• Reached seventh career Grand Slam QF at Australian Open (l. to Djokovic)
• Helped Czech Republic beat Switzerland 3-2 in Davis Cup 1R, winning three points. Partnered with Rosol in doubles rubber, the duo overcame Chiudinelli-Wawrinka 24-22 in fifth set, match lasted 7 hours, 1 minute and is the longest Davis Cup match on record (in time)
by ATP Staff | 18.04.2013
Italy’s Fabio Fognini recorded the biggest win of his career as he ousted fourth seed Tomas Berdych 6-4, 6-2 in 79 minutes. The No. 32-ranked Fognini claimed just the second Top 10 win of his career, with his only previous victory coming against then-No. 9 Fernando Verdasco at Wimbledon in 2010.
The 25-year-old Fognini is through to the quarter-finals of an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament for the first time. “For the moment I feel really good on the court,” said the Italian. “I just play really well these three matches. It’s my first time to reach the quarter-finals here in Monte Carlo. With the Italian people, I think they're happy. I'm Italian, so I feel at home here.”
Fognini beats Berdych in Monte Carlo third round
Tomas Berdych seen during his third round match against Fabio Fognini of Italy on day five of the ATP Monte Carlo Masters,at Monte-Carlo Sporting Club on April 18, 2013 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco.
Tomas Berdych walks off the court after his straight sets defeat against Fabio Fognini of Italy in their third round match during day five of the ATP Monte Carlo Masters,at Monte-Carlo Sporting Club on April 18, 2013 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco.