|Posted on October 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM|
Finals Hopeful In Action - With 1000 South African Airways ATP Rankings available, Barclays ATP World Tour Finals hopeful Tomas Berdych will hope for strong showing.
H2H Tomas Berdych vs Andreas Seppi
Order of Play – Wednesday, October 10, 2012
STADIUM - Matches Start At: 2:00 pm
Andreas SEPPI (ITA) vs Tomas BERDYCH (CZE) 
Grigor DIMITROV (BUL) vs Novak DJOKOVIC (SRB) 
Not Before 6:00 PM
Andy MURRAY (GBR)  vs Florian MAYER (GER)
Not Before 8:00 PM
Roger FEDERER (SUI)  vs Qual. Yen-Hsun LU (TPE)
Following first round bye, the Top 4 seeds all play their opening matches on Stadium court, beginning with No. 4 Tomas Berdych taking a 3-2 head-to-head lead against Italy’s Andreas Seppi. Berdych has never lost this early in Shanghai, reaching the third round in previous appearances the past three years. However, he has never gone further than the third round here; Seppi has six Top 10 wins in his career (four of those six came against No. 9s and No. 10s, and the two others - his two best - came on hard courts, over No. 4 Lleyton Hewitt in 2006 and No. 2 Rafael Nadal at Rotterdam in 2008). Berdych is No. 6 in the Race to the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London and he enters with a 50-18 record.
Andreas Seppi (ITA) vs (4) Tomas Berdych (CZE) Berdych Leads 3-2
2004 Palermo (Italy) Clay QF Tomas Berdych 6-2 6-4
2005 Palermo (Italy) Clay R32 Andreas Seppi 4-6 6-4 6-4
2008 ATP Masters 1000 Cincinnati (USA) Hard R32 Andreas Seppi 5-7 7-5 7-5
2008 Beijing Olympics (China) Hard R32 Tomas Berdych 6-3 7-6(4)
2012 Rotterdam (The Netherlands) Hard QF Tomas Berdych 6-3 6-4
• The 28-year-old Italian opened with a 62 76(5) first round win over German qualifier Michael Berrer on Monday…Has a 3-1 career record
• He is trying to reach the 3rd Rd. for the second time...Two years ago (d. No. 15 Cilic, Lu, l. to Federer)
W: Belgrade (d Paire); F(2): Eastbourne (l Roddick); Metz (l Tsonga); QF(4): Doha (l Federer); Rotterdam (l Berdych); Bucharest (l Fognini); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome (l Federer)
YTD W-L: 33-24 (13-15 on hard), 13-10 in Tie-breaks
YTD Titles: 1/Career Titles: 2
Date of Birth: February 21, 1984
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 26
2012 in Review:
• The top Italian made comes in with a 33-24 match record on the season (13-15 on hard) and last week he reached the second round in Beijing (l. to Querrey)…Last week ranked a career-high No. 25 and is No. 26 this week…Trying to finish in the Top 30 for the first time in his career (year-end No. 35 in ’08)
• Has compiled the best results of his career, capturing his second ATP World Tour title in Belgrade in May (d. Paire) and reaching finals in Eastbourne in June (l. to Roddick) and Metz three weeks ago (l. to Tsonga)…Has a 2-3 career record in finals
• Also a quarter-finalist in four other tournaments, including his home country stop in Rome (l. to Federer)
• In Grand Slam play, broke through to reach the fourth round for the first time at Roland Garros where he lost to No. 1 Djokovic in five sets (after holding two set lead)
• Has the most match wins (33) in his career, surpassing his previous best (30) in 2008
• Has a 1-9 record vs. Top 10 opponents this season (6-49 in career) and posted his lone win over No. 10 John Isner in the second round of Rome in May
• The 27-year-old Czech Republic native is 4-3 lifetime in Shanghai and he’s lost in the third round in his past three visits – Simon in 2009, Garcia-Lopez in 2010 and Lopez last year
W: Montpellier (d Monfils); F(2): ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid (l Federer); Winston-Salem (l Isner); SF(3): Rotterdam (l Del Potro); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo (l Djokovic); US Open (l Murray); QF(5): Australian Open (l Nadal); Dubai (l Murray); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome (l Nadal); Halle (l Haas); Tokyo (l Nishikori)
YTD W-L: 50-18 (30-10 on hard), 17-14 in Tie-breaks
YTD Titles: 1/Career Titles: 7
Date of Birth: September 17, 1985
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 7
2012 in Review:
• The top player from the Czech Republic is coming off a quarter-final in Tokyo last week, losing to eventual champion Kei Nishikori
• Has posted 50 match wins (50-18 record) for the second consecutive year (won 53 last season) and has reached the quarter-finals or better 11 times
• He is on pace to finish in Top 10 for third straight year and in February, captured his seventh career ATP World Tour title in Montpellier (d. Monfils)…Also reached finals at ATP Masters 1000 Madrid (l. to Federer) in May and Winston-Salem in August (l. to Isner after holding three match pts.)…Has played in previous seven ATP Masters 1000 tournaments this year (14-7 record)
• He and Radek Stepanek led their country into the Davis Cup final (vs. Spain in Prague) next month
Compiled a 5-0 mark in singles en route to final
• In Grand Slam play, best results were semi-finals at US Open (d. No. 1 Federer in QF, l. to Murray in four sets) and quarter-finals at Australian Open (l. to Nadal)
Tomas Berdych makes light work of Andreas Seppi
gif File Size: 839 ko - 280 x 155
Tomas won through to the third round of the Shanghai Masters
SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS 2012
BERDYCH BEATS SEPPI
by ATP Staff | 10.10.2012
Fourth seed Tomas Berdych improved to 4-2 lifetime against Andreas Seppi of Italy after a 6-3, 6-3 second-round win in 79 minutes on Wednesday at the Shanghai Rolex Masters.
The 27-year-old Czech is on course for a third straight Top 10 finish to the season after compiling a 1-2 record in ATP World Tour finals and a 51-18 match record.
He is No. 6 in South African Airways ATP Rankings Race To London. Seppi drops to 6-50 against Top 10 opponents in his career.
Berdych will next challenge American Sam Querrey, who fought back from a 1-3 deciding set deficit to beat No. 14 seed and last year's semi-finalist Kei Nishikori of Japan 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 in one hour and 41 minutes.
gif File Size: 726 ko - 300 x 160
Tomas Berdych in action against Andreas Seppi of Italy during their second round men's singles tennis match of the Shanghai Masters tennis tournament at Qizhong Forest Sports City Tennis Center in Shanghai, China, Wednesday Oct. 10, 2012. Berdych won 6-3, 6-3.
Tomas Berdych advances to next round in Shanghai
Tomas Berdych celebrates match point against Andreas Seppi of Italy during the day four of Shanghai Rolex Masters at the Qi Zhong Tennis Center on October 10, 2012 in Shanghai, China.
gif File Size: 1.08 Mo - 300 x 160