|Posted on October 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM|
H2H Tomas Berdych vs Alejandro Falla
Alejandro Falla (COL) vs (2) Tomas Berdych (CZE) First Meeting
QF(2): Auckland (l Ferrer); Kuala Lumpur (l Benneteau)
YTD W-L: 12-20 (8-11 on hard)
YTD Titles: 0
Career Titles: 0
Date of Birth: November 14, 1983
South African Airways 2012 ATP Ranking: 57
• Falla, 28, is the No. 2 Colombian (behind No. 42 Giraldo) and looking to finish in the Top 60 for the first time in his career…Broke Top 50 at No. 48 on July 16…Will finish in Top 100 for fourth time in six years
• The left-hander is making his second Japan Open appearance (l. to Stepanek two years ago in first round) Opened with a 75 62 win over Brazilian Thomaz Bellucci
• His best ATP World Tour result is quarter-finals in Auckland in January (l. to No. 5 Ferrer) and in Grand Slam play, reached third round at Australian Open (d. No. 8 Fish, l. to Kohlschreiber) and Wimbledon (d. No. 10 Isner, Mahut both in 5 sets, l. to Istomin)
• In limited Challengers, won titles on home soil in Barranquilla (d. Zeballos) in April and Bogota (d. Giraldo) in July…Has compiled an 11-2 match record
• Has a 4-16 career record vs. Top 10 opponents (2-3 this season)
W: Montpellier (d Monfils); F: ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid (l Federer); Winston-Salem (l Isner); SF: Rotterdam (l Del Potro); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo (l Djokovic); US Open (l Murray); QF: Australian Open (l Nadal); Dubai (l Murray); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome (l Nadal); Halle (l Haas)
YTD W-L: 49-17 (29-9 on hard)
YTD Titles: 1
Career Titles: 7
Date of Birth: September 17, 1985
South African Airways 2012 ATP Ranking: 6
• Berdych, 27, the top Czech Republic native, enters with an 11-3 career mark in Tokyo and he’s looking to reach the quarter-finals for the fourth time…Won the title in 2008 (d. del Potro), a semi-finalist in ’07 and quarter-finalist in ’09…Opened on Monday with a 61 76 win over Benoit Paire
• Looking to win 50 matches (49-17 record) for the second consecutive year (won 53 last season)
• He is on pace to finish in Top 10 for third straight year and in February, captured his seventh career ATP World Tour title in Montpellier (d. Monfils)…Also reached finals at ATP Masters 1000 Madrid (l. to Federer) in May and Winston-Salem in August (l. to Isner after holding three match pts.)
• He and Radek Stepanek led their country into the Davis Cup final (vs. Spain in Prague) next month
Compiled a 5-0 mark in singles en route to final
• In Grand Slam play, best results were semi-finals at US Open (d. No. 1 Federer in QF, l. to Murray in four sets) and quarter-finals at Australian Open (l. to Nadal)
Order of Play – Thursday, October 4, 2012
CENTRE COURT - Matches Start At: 11:00 am
Janko TIPSAREVIC (SRB)  vs [Q] Marco CHIUDINELLI (SUI)
Alejandro FALLA (COL) vs Tomas BERDYCH (CZE) 
Marcos BAGHDATIS (CYP) vs Juan MONACO (ARG) 
Kei NISHIKORI (JPN)  vs [PR] Tommy ROBREDO (ESP)
[WC] Tatsuma ITO (JPN) vs [Q] Dmitry TURSUNOV (RUS)
Juan MONACO (ARG)/Kei NISHIKORI (JPN) vs Daniele BRACCIALI (ITA)/Frantisek CERMAK (CZE)
Tomas into Tokyo Quarters
Tomas Berdych reaches Japan Open quarters
RAKUTEN OPEN 2012
Berdych Notches 50th Season Win
by ATP Staff | 04.10.2012
Second seed Tomas Berdych claimed his 50th match win of the season on Thursday at the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships in Tokyo, defeating Alejandro Falla 6-3, 7-5 in the second round. Berdych won 86 per cent of his service points and broke the Colombian once in each set to clinch the victory in 79 minutes. The two were facing off for the first time.
“I was feeling much better physically than in my first match,” said Berdych. “I was able to profit from that. I was serving well, was playing solid and when I had the chance, I took it. That’s why I was able to finish it in two sets.”
The Czech is bidding to triumph for the second time at the Ariake Tennis Forest Park, having topped Juan Martin del Potro in the 2008 final. Berdych has reached three finals in 2012, capturing the Montpellier crown (d. Monfils) and finishing runner-up at the Mutua Madrid Open (l. to Federer) and Winston-Salem (l. to Isner). He also advanced to his first US Open semi-final, upsetting World No. 1 Roger Federer along the way.
In the quarter-finals, the sixth-ranked Berdych will play eighth-seeded home favourite Kei Nishikori
or Spain’s Tommy Robredo.
Tomas Berdych returns to Alejandro Falla of Colombia during their second round match of the Japan Open tennis championships in Tokyo Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012. Berdych won the match, 6-3, 7-5.
2008 champion Tomas Berdych comfortably beat Alejandro Falla 6-3 7-5 to reach the quarter-finals
Tomas Berdych celebrates a point won over Alejandro Falla of Colombia during their second round match of the Japan Open tennis championships in Tokyo Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012. Berdych won the match, 6-3, 7-5.
Tomas Berdych into quarters
October 4, 2012
TOKYO -- Tomas Berdych, Janko Tipsarevic and Milos Raonic advanced to the quarterfinals of the Japan Open with comfortable victories Thursday.
Second-seeded Berdych of the Czech Republic earned a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Alejandro Falla of Colombia, Serbia's Tipsarevic beat Marco Chiudinelli of Switzerland 6-4, 6-2, and Canada's Raonic went through when Serb Viktor Troicki retired with an injury while trailing 3-0 in the first set.
Tipsarevic will take on Raonic in the quarters, while Berdych will play
either Spain's Tommy Robredo orlocal hope Kei Nishikori.
Top-seeded Andy Murray had already booked his spot in Friday's quarters, where he will meet Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka.
Berdych exhibited solid groundstrokes and a strong serve throughout the match at Ariake Colosseum, and closed it out with his ninth ace.
The first set was on serve until the sixth game, when Berdych reeled off three backhand winners to break and go up 4-2. Berdych took the set 6-3 in 30 minutes.
Berdych, ranked sixth in the world, won 93 percent of his first serves in the opening set. The Czech is seeking his second title of the year after winning indoors in Montpellier, France, in February.
The 27-year-old Berdych unleashed some fierce forehands in the second set as he notched his 50th ATP Tour win of the season.
Berdych lost to Murray, the defending champion here, in the semifinals at the U.S. Open last month.
Ace on match point!
gif File Size: 914 Ko - 300 x 160