|Posted on August 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM|
Tomas is playing in North America. He has been handed a bye in the first round and will open his Cincinnati campaign against Yen-Hsun Lu of Tapei who encountered few problems on his route through to the second round Monday, defeating Lukas Kubot 6-3 6-0 in the first round. Tomas Berdych and Yen-Hsun Lu have never played against each other before.
H2H Tomas Berdych vs Yen-Hsun Lu
Order of Play – Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Center Court – Match Start At: 11:00 am
 Maria Kirilenko (RUS) vs [WC] Venus Williams (USA)
 Andy Roddick (USA) vs [LL] Jeremy Chardy (FRA)
 Mardy Fish (USA) vs Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
Not Before 7:00 PM
[Q] Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) vs  Serena Williams (USA)
Not Before 8:30 PM
[Q] Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE) vs  Tomas Berdych (CZE)
• The 25-year-old Czech Republic native has an 11-7 career mark and making his eight straight appearance with best result the semi-finals last year (retired at 5-7 w/shoulder vs. No. 1 Djokovic)…In
quarter-finals, defeated No. 3 Federer 62 76
• Prior to last year, reached QFs in 2009 (l. to Nadal); reached 3rd Rd. twice (2007 and 2010) and 2nd Rd. twice [2005 and 2008] and fell 1st Rd. once (2006)
W: Montpellier (d Monfils); F: ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid (l Federer); SF(2): Rotterdam (l Del Potro); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo (l Djokovic); QF(4): Australian Open (l Nadal); Dubai (l Murray); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome (l Nadal); Halle (l Haas)
YTD W-L: 36-14 (18-6 on hard), 14-11 in Tie-breaks
YTD Titles: 1/Career Titles: 7
Date of Birth: September 17, 1985
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 7
2012 in Review:
• The top player from the Czech Republic is compiling another consistent season with a 36-14 match record (18-6 on hard) with quarter-finals or better in eight tournaments
• Last week he reached the 3rd Rd. in Toronto (l. to Gasquet) and prior to that lost in the 1st Rd. at the London Olympics (l .to Darcis)…Has not won back-to-back matches (2-4) since Roland Garros (4th Rd.)
• His best result was a seventh career ATP World Tour title in Montpellier, France on Feb. 5 (d. Monfils in final)…Also a runner-up at ATP Masters 1000 Madrid in May (l. to Federer), his third in an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 final (1-2) and fifth on clay (2-3)
• Also a semi-finalist in Rotterdam (l. to No. 10 del Potro) in February and Monte-Carlo (l. to Djokovic) in April along with quarter-finalist at Australian Open (l. to No. 2 Nadal) and fourth round at Roland Garros (l. to del Potro) and first round at Wimbledon (l. to Gulbis)
• In April won both of his singles Davis Cup QF matches vs. Serbia, defeating Viktor Troicki and Janko Tipsarevic, both in straight sets…Czech Republic will play Argentina in SFs in September
• Has ranked in Top 10 every week since July 5, 2010 after reaching Wimbledon final
Tomas Berdych Wins Opener
ATP NEWS - Ffifth-seeded Czech Tomas Berdych needed one hour and 27 minutes to beat qualifier Yen-Hsun Lu 6-3, 6-4. Berdych reached the third round last week in Toronto, falling to eventual finalist Richard Gasquet.
Tomas Berdych dumps Yen-Hsun Lu in round two
Fifth seed, Tomas Berdych, triumphs over the Taiwanese qualifier, Yen-Hsun Lu, in straight sets at the Western and Southern Open 2012 on Tuesday. He jolted down a 6-3, 6-4 success against the world number 74 to cruise into the third round at this Emirates Airline US Open Series event taking place from 11th to 19th August in Cincinnati.
The Czech top ranked star unveiled his true form to outlast Lu in almost one and a half hour. As a result, he booked a place in the pre-quarters at this ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) Masters 1000 event held on the hard courts in Mason.
Berdych made quick in-roads at the Lindner Family Tennis Center. He cashed in two out of four break chances to leap to a 5-1 lead. Despite squandering his chance of serving out the set with a breadstick, the Czech held his serve once more and pulled out the opener with a 6-3 score line.
Ranked seventh in the tennis world, Berdych kept momentum running in the following set. He got the breakthrough in the opening game after cashing in one out of three break chances. The Czech swiped his entire serves with self-assurance, eventually sealing the set by winning six games to four.
The 26-year-old is coming off a third round showing at the Rogers Cup in Toronto last week (lost to eventual finalist Richard Gasquet). He struck eight aces and spilled fewer double faults. Berdych also tremendously clobbered a higher first serve share of 63 per cent as opposed to his opponent’s 50 per cent and availed 30 out of 38 points on it.
Berdych will face off the conqueror of the match between Cypriot’s Marcos Baghdatis and the Canadian number one, Milos Raonic.
Bernard Tomic will join the Czech star after overpowering America’s Brian Baker in another second round clash. The Aussie number one required a single break of serve in each set to outclass Baker in one hour and 16 minutes. He amazingly warded off all six breakpoints he faced and cashed in two out of four break chances to register a 6-4, 6-3 victory.
Tomas Berdych defeated qualifier Yen-Hsun Lu 6-3, 6-4 in a 97 match on Center Court. Berdych fired eight aces in the victory.
Tomas Berdych hits a backhand against Yen-Hsun Lu of Taiwan during day four of the Western & Southern Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 14, 2012 in Mason, Ohio.