|Posted on May 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM|
DUSSELDORF THURSDAY PREVIEW
UNBEATEN GERMANY-SERBIA, ARGENTINA-CZECH REPUBLIC MEET
• Host Germany and Serbia square off and Argentina and the Czech Republic meet in important ties on Thursday at the Power Horse World Team Cup.
• Leading off the Blue Group on Centre Court I is Serbia’s Viktor Troicki against German Florian Mayer, who has won three of the previous four meetings in their head-to-head. Troicki comes in with a 13-13 match record on the season (5-6 on clay) while Mayer is 7-12 (4-8 on clay). Both players have performed well here. Troicki has a 7-4 career mark and Mayer is 7-3.
• In the next match on in Red Group play, World No. 7 Tomas Berdych looks for his second win in as many meetings against Carlos Berlocq of Argentina. Berdych is putting together one of his most consistent seasons on the ATP World Tour with a 30-8 match record, including 13-3 on clay. Last week he reached the quarter-finals in Rome. He is 14-4 lifetime in Duesseldorf. Berlocq is putting together a career-best season with an 18-12 match record (15-8 on clay). He is 2-0 this week in his Dusseldorf debut. Berlcoq advanced to his first career ATP World Tour final in Vina del Mar (l. to Monaco).
• In the third match on, former No. 1 American Andy Roddick takes on Japan’s Go Soeda for the first time. Roddick is playing in his first tournament since Miami in March and he’s also playing in his first clay court event of the year. Soeda is ranked No. 61, just two spots off his career-best on April 30. Soeda has compiled a 22-4 mark in Challenger play with three titles. He is 4-6 in ATP World Tour level play. Soeda is one of three Japanese players ranked in the Top 70 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings.
• On Centre Court 2, American Ryan Harrison plays Tatsuma Ito for the first time and Russian Igor Kunitsyn looks for his second win in as many meetings against Croat Ivan Dodig.
H2H Tomas Berdych vs Carlos Berlocq
Order of Play - Thursday, May 24, 2012
Center Court 1 - Matches Start At: 1:00 pm
Viktor Troicki (SRB) vs Florian Mayer (GER)
Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs Carlos Berlocq (ARG)
Andy Roddick (USA) vs Go Soeda (JPN)
Centre Court 2 - Matches Start At: 1:00 pm
Ryan Harrison (USA) vs Tatsuma Ito (JPN)
Igor Kunitsyn (RUS) vs Ivan Dodig (CRO)
Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs Carlos Berlocq (ARG) Berdych Leads 1-0
2011 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami Hard R32 - Tomas Berdych 7-6(8) 7-5
W: Montpellier (d Monfils); F: ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid (l Federer); SF (2): Rotterdam (l Del Potro); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo (l Djokovic); QF(3): Australian Open (l Nadal); Dubai (l Murray); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome (l Nadal)
YTD W-L: 30-8 (13-3 on clay)
YTD Titles: 1/Career Titles: 7
Date of Birth: September 17, 1985
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 7
- Sixth Tournament Appearance (2005-08, ’10, ‘12) in Duesseldorf (14-4 record)
F: Vina del Mar (l Monaco); QF: Sao Paulo (l Almagro); Buenos Aires (l Nalbandian); Acapulco (l Giraldo); Houston (l Lopez)
YTD W-L: 18-12 (15-8 on clay)
YTD Titles: 0/Career Titles: 0
Date of Birth: February 3, 1983
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 37
- First Tournament Appearance in Duesseldorf (2-0 record)
Berdych puts Czechs ahead
Tomas Berdych continued his fine form in the build-up to next week's French Open as he beat Carlos Berlocq to give the Czech Republic the lead over Argentina in the World Team Cup in Dusseldorf.
Berdych was pressed by the world number 37, who took the second set of their Red Group clash on the tie-break, but he rallied to close out a 6-1 6-7 (7/2) 6-3 win and boost his nation's hopes of a place in the final.
ATP Homepage of Thursday, May 24, 2012
POWER HORSE WORLD TEAM CUP
BERDYCH GIVES CZECHS ADVANTAGE; SERBIA ON TOP VERSUS GERMANY
by ATP Staff | 24.05.2012
World No. 7 Tomas Berdych gave Czech Republic a 1-0 lead in its final Red Group tie against Argentina at the Power Horse World Team Cup in Dusseldorf on Thursday.
Berdych improved to 31-8 on the season with a 6-1, 6-7(2), 6-3 victory over this year's VTR Open finalist Carlos Berlocq of Argentina. Berdych is making his sixth tournament appearance at the Rochusclub (2005-08, '10, '12), where he has a 15-4 record.
In the other Red Group tie, United States took a 1-0 lead over Japan after Ryan Harrison hit eight aces past Tatsuma Ito for a 6-2, 7-6(5) win in 85 minutes. Both nations are bidding to win their first tie of the week.
Serbia got off to a fine start against host nation Germany in its quest to clinch a final berth from the Blue Group.
Former World No. 12 Viktor Troicki avenged his loss to Florian Mayer at the championship last year by hitting 12 aces in a 7-6(6), 6-3 victory in one hour and 34 minutes.
"During the first set, I was by far the better player," said Mayer. "It’s my own fault, because I didn’t convert the three set points. That’s the way things go in tennis."
In the other Blue Group tie, Croatia's Ivan Dodig recorded his second straight win over Igor Kunitsyn of Russia 7-6(0), 6-4 in one hour and 41 minutes. The World No. 75 hit 10 aces for his ninth match win of the season (9-15 overall).
Tomas Berdych in action during his match against Carlos Berlocq of Argentina during day five of Power Horse World Team Cup at Rochusclub on May 24, 2012 in Duesseldorf, Germany.