|Posted on February 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM|
Three Top 10 players, two former Top 10 performers and another two former Top 20 players make up an all-star line-up at the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament, the first ATP World Tour 500 stop of the year.
(2) Tomas Berdych (CZE #7) vs. Andreas Seppi (ITA #45) Tied 2-2
(3) Juan Martin del Potro (ARG #10) vs. (7) Viktor Troicki (SRB #24) del Potro leads 4-0
(1) Roger Federer (SUI #3) vs. Jarkko Nieminen (FIN #46) Federer leads 12-0
(5) Richard Gasquet (FRA #16) vs. Nikolay Davydenko (RUS #49) Gasquet leads 3-1
H2H Tomas Berdych vs Andreas Seppi
Order of Play – Friday, February 17, 2012
CENTRE COURT - Matches Start At: 11:00 am
Marcel GRANOLLERS (ESP)/Marc LOPEZ (ESP) vs Thomas SCHOOREL (NED)/Igor SIJSLING (NED)
Not Before 12:30 PM
Andreas SEPPI (ITA) vs Tomas BERDYCH (CZE)
Not Before 2:30 PM
Viktor TROICKI (SRB) vs Juan Martin DEL POTRO (ARG)
Aisam-Ul-Haq QURESHI (PAK)/Jean-Julien ROJER (AHO) vs Michael LLODRA (FRA)/Nenad ZIMONJIC (SRB)
Not Before 7:30 PM
Roger FEDERER (SUI) vs Jarkko NIEMINEN (FIN)
Nikolay DAVYDENKO (RUS) vs Richard GASQUET (FRA)
ROTTERDAM FRIDAY PREVIEW
(2) Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs Andreas Seppi (ITA) Tied 2-2
04 Palermo (Italy) Clay QF Tomas Berdych 6-2 6-4
05 Palermo (Italy) Clay R32 Andreas Seppi 4-6 6-4 6-4
08 ATP Masters 1000 Cincinnati Hard R32 Andreas Seppi 5-7 7-5 7-5
08 Beijing Olympics (China) Hard R32 Tomas Berdych 6-3 7-6(4)
• Have split four career meetings but have not played since Beijing Olympics in 2008 (Berdych won)
• Both are No. 1 in their respective countries, Berdych being Czech No. 1 (next-highest is No. 29 Stepanek) and Seppi being Italian No. 1 (next-highest is No. 53 Fognini)
W: Montpellier (d Monfils); QF: Australian Open (l Nadal)
YTD W-L: 11-1
YTD Titles: 1/Career Titles: 7
Date of Birth: September 17, 1985
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 7
• Berdych is 7-0 indoors this year (4-0 to win Montpellier, 1-0 in Davis Cup, 2-0 so far here)
• The Czech Republic native has lost fewest games (six) en route to QF (Federer next-fewest with eight)
• He is off to a career-best 11-1 start with his lone loss coming to World No. 2 Rafael Nadal in four sets at the Australian Open quarter-finals
• This is the Czech Republic native’s seventh appearance in Rotterdam (6-5 record; best result was QFs in 2011 - w/o to Tsonga and this year)
QF: Doha (l Federer)
YTD W-L: 5-6
YTD Titles: 0/Career Titles: 1
Date of Birth: February 21, 1984 South African Airways ATP Ranking: 45
• Seppi has lost last 27 matches vs. Top 10 players [last win: No. 9 Gasquet in Hamburg, May 2008]
• The No. 1 Italian is making fifth appearance in Rotterdam (6-4 record; best results are QFs in 2008 and 2012)
Berdych into Rotterdam semis
Tomas Berdych has a 12-1 season record
gif File Size: 760 ko - 280 x 160
Tomas Berdych during his quarter-final match in Rotterdam
Berdych books semi spot
Rotterdam - Tomas Berdych kept his indoor record an unblemished 8-0 this season as the Czech overpowered Italy's Andreas Seppi 6-3, 6-4 on Friday for a place in the semi-finals of the ATP Rotterdam Open on Friday.
But the second-seeded perfectionist was slightly annoyed after losing his only serve of the match in the second set, a mistake which he quickly rectified to get the contest back on level-pegging.
"I played a good match but I'm not happy with that error," said the world number seven, who was unable to play his Rotterdam quarter-final a year ago after coming down with a fever.
"I was trying to keep my level high and I did it save that one game. But I still managed to win in two sets so it's all okay at the end.
"Of course I have hopes of winning the tournament but it is one match at a time for me," said the player who won the Montpellier title this month.
Berdych will await a Saturday opponent from third seed and tournament debutant Juan Martin Del Potro, who was playing Serb seventh seed Viktor Troicki.
Berdych claimed his 67-minute victory over the 45th-ranked Seppi on a fifth ace of the afternoon at the Ahoy stadium after breaking the Italian three times.
Berdych took a 3-2 lead in their series after last playing Seppi in 2008.
BERDYCH REACHES SFS
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
by ATP Staff | 17.02.2012
Second seed Tomas Berdych blasted past Andreas Seppi of Italy 6-3, 6-4 on Friday for a spot in the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament semi-finals. The Czech converted three of six break point opportunities, hit five aces and dropped 10 points on his serve.
World No. 7 Berdych improved to a 12-1 match record on the season, which includes one ATP World Tour title at the Open Sud de France in Montpellier (d. Monfils) earlier this month.
Berdych will next play third seed Juan Martin del Potro, who improved to 5-0 lifetime against seventh seed Viktor Troicki of Serbia with a 6-1, 6-1 win in 61 minutes. Troicki won just nine points in the first set and 24 points overall.
Top seed Roger Federer is in action later today against Jarkko Nieminen at the ATP World Tour 500 hard-court tournament, which was first contested in 1974.
Tomas Berdych returns a shot to Andreas Seppi of Italy during their quarter final tennis match of the ABN AMRO tournament in Ahoy Arena in Rotterdam, Netherlands, Friday, February 17, 2012.
Tomas Berdych celebrates victory against Andreas Seppi of Italy on day 5 during the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament on February 17, 2012 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.